Saturday, September 12, 2009

tonight, i have lost my reason to learn driving. more like the cons overpower the pros. i was so keen just a few months, or even years ago, on the prestige of getting a driver's licence. but now, no more.

1) personal reasons: my dad's driving just annoys me to hell. and my parents want me to learn driving asap so that i can drive them around. with me getting in such a bad mood whenever i'm in the car with my parents (especially with my dad driving), i'd rather not be in the car.

2) my brother has been getting into a few accidents of late (and a few close shaves while i was IN the car), it seem like a really expensive affair. Fines(for driving a van in the wrong lane), scrapes with another taxi, repair costs to car damage, and the nagging from my parents that come together with each event that occurs. it doesn't seem worth it.

3) the cost of learning to drive is really high. opportunity cost is greater, since i don't think driving classes has more benefits than joining a culinary class or language class.

4) There's only one family car. And already three out of five people in my family can drive, so why need another driver? Demand for the car will outweigh the supply.

5)Fear. Of speed. When i'm not in control of it, it's not too bad. But evidence is already showing itself when i'm in the passenger seat and the car's cruising on the road at 70km/h. Relatively, it's not speeding, but at times i feel like it's going TOO fast already. and my brother will go 'it's only 70, still under the speed limit'. Another fear i might add, would be of mistakes. it links to reason number two, when mistakes happen, accidents do too. That's probably why sometimes when the roads are crowded, or at narrow turnings, my mind will go 'isn't the space a little too small??!!/ it's going to scrape!/ what if the car in front starts rolling back?!!' scenarios like that. In short, i need my space. (Maybe that's why since young i was so keen on having the world travel on flying skateboards, in the air, there's so much more room for mistakes to occur without the accidents)

6) I'm a geographer. I am VERY Pro-Earth. We need to consume less, produce less, thus waste less. I think that the world has too many cars and more car producers should just go bankrupt and close down so that car production will be reduced. Cars produce negative externalities such as pollution in the form of carbon monoxide and traffic congestion, which brings down the standard of living of a city. I'm pretty happy with the public transport system we have, the costs of travelling is still MUCH cheaper than owning a car(pay COE, pay ERP, pay fines, all pay money). Plus, not having a car makes you walk. walking is beneficial to your health, both mentally and physically. More times than not, affluence brings more harm than benefit.

it's all in the economics and geography.


next issue.
dinner at Zion Road food centre tonight. I don't think that place has much great food to offer, but it seems as though many people think it's a place with great food. There's only the famous Char Kway Teow stall that i know of, parkings' a menace, plus you've gotta pay to use the toilet. The only thing i like about it, is that it's next to the river.
Back to the point. Many people go there, and tonight i saw two couples(wouldn't exactly call the latter that, but, small details). one graduated NJCian whose name i can't remember but was in council and i suppose his girlfriend, and Mr Kevin Sim (in his Stanford tee) with another guy who looked like a student. Interesting, where you meet different people at different places.

and then i feel the need to reply to tags here, because some people just don't have tagboards anymore. haha.

suenli- i'm giving you interesting stuff to read other than your chem notes, the longer my dream is, the longer the time before you start on your chem ain't it? haha. And like you, i'm much more interested in blogging than my notes. haha.

No comments: